Friday, June 11, 2010

friday!

so i just wrote all that i wanted to say and lost it somehow when i went to post. ew. anyway, yesterday was another great day. i took the bus with a girl from my house to CAICC, the place where I start on monday. it´s a 30 minute bus ride and it´s a wild ride, like you are on a roller coaster. think i might need to bring my dramamine. anyway, i´ll be working with 1 to 5 year olds who live IN THE PRISONS with their parents. that´s how the system works here, one parent goes, everyone goes. so during the day, the kids are brought to CAICC where they have activities, social services, school, etc. as soon as we walked in the door, the little guys were running up to us asking to be held and giving us hugs. they call me TIA KIM (AUNT KIM) and it´s so cute. i´m already in love with all the lil guys and want to bring them and about 20 street dogs (that are soooo cute) home with me. i´m in trouble, i´ll admit it now.

when i got home, i went with my housemate david (from UNIVERSITY OF IOWA GO HAWKEYES!!! )to get our clothes washed then to get a few beers. later that night we had another wonderful dinner. it was an array of pastas with fresh basil sauces. so good. of course, everyone brought wine home with them so there was plenty of that going around as well. then erik came by and took us to a hookah lounge where a friend of his was playing music. the music was awesome ..all but 3 of us in the house went, and had a great time. had this yummy brasilian drink that just kept coming and coming, but i can´t remember what it was called. cochasa or something like that. needless to say, i slept well last night, and ANOTHER DAY MIGRAINE FREE! on sunday, david and i are going to climb up to the christ statue ( 2000 stairs) and take the ski lift type thing back down. they allow you to go inside and walk up to an observation deck on sundays and since he and i are among the newest people here, we are the only ones that haven´t been. i can´t wait for that experience. sounds like the rest of the weekend, and the whole town, will be wrapped up in watching world cup, etc. again, i don´t have pics which would make this so much COOLER! i have taken like 150 pics already but can´t get them uploaded. the system is too slow...

yesterday was 6 months since dad´s passing. it was with me all day, tucked deep inside the pit of my stomach. our family picture at stanford sits right next to my bed and i just try to remind myself how sick he was and how happy he is now. he´s definitely a guardian angel. i love you dad!

love the rest of you, too! xoxo, k

5 comments:

The Meditz Family said...

what a touching post kim. you are doing great service and having an adventure - the best way to honor your dad (:

Diane V. said...

Hi Kimmie ~ Read your posts today. It all sounds so exciting. I would so want to bring all those lil guys home with me too!! You are going to be such a blessing to all of them. Love your adventures. Glad to hear that your meals and housemates are awesome. Keep the posts coming. :) How is the weather?

Anonymous said...

Kimmie,

This all sounds wonderful. I hope you find what you're searching for and cherish every moment until you do. I admire your courage and can't wait to read more.

Jen

Polly said...

Hey Sweetness! So glad you made it safety. Sounds like all is well with you. Glad you were migraine free! I can picture you with the mijos and mijas and doggies. You have a kind heart! Miss you - Polly

Anonymous said...

So proud of you, Kimmer! It would be very hard not to fall in love w/all the little ones. I am so glad that you can get "your-kind-of-food.
Went for kolaches yesterday w/Carol & my cousin, Jim, was working. Needless to say, he was very surprised to see me as I didn't tell anyone I was coming. Also, went to see Gram B. She was sleeping when we arrived & stayed prone while we were there. She looked good, but I know she didn't know who I was. Went to see Dad's cousin, Kathy, who is again in the hospital. Was very glad that we went. Went out to breakfast w/Carol & Larry this a.m. & they are on their way to DM for 5 days. Today is Abby's dance recital & then they will take in one of Josh's baseball games. Susan has a workshop the first few days of the wk so C & L will be child caring. It's raining quite hard here w/thunder & lightening, but that won't stop me. I LOVE IT! Will be going to Gram C.'s grave & then spend as much time as I can at Dad's resting place. I have an order in for kolaches to take back to Turlock so will make a stop in Czech town & look for some t-shirts for the kids. Then, I will pick up a Maidrite & bring it back to the motel (which, by the way, I am VERY happy w -- thanks for the referral) & they have a free "happy hr." so will get a couple of wine coolers to celebrate Dad's & my day. Get back to Turlock at 3 p.m. tomorrow & will try to put Sophie pics on FB.
Sounds as tho you're partying quite a bit, Missy. Just glad you haven't had any headaches. MIRACLE!
Stay safe, PLEASE, & I LOVE YOU & am so PROUD of YOU ~ Your mom