Monday, June 14, 2010

first day at CAICC

HI EVERYONE,
today was my first day working with the lil guys. i had to leave early to come back here to the office to set up my spanish lessons; i NEED them. i took the bus (trufi) at 8:25am and luckily ran into a girl from canada that goes to the same place i do but works with the older kids. so the way there was smooth..the way home a different story. there are a million different TRUFI lines so i used my best spanish to ask if i was taking the right one. he said yes, however there are no ¨bus stops¨ you just have to get off when you want to. i had no clue where i needed to get off to walk to my house so i got off a bit late, but that´s ok; the walk was nice. about my actual job..tia kim didn´t know exactly what she was doing and i can´t talk to the paid boliviana workers (i´m the only volunteer with the small ones) so i literally just played with them,helped serve breakfast and lunch (which i got to eat-potatoes,rice, and chicken),and held them. they are all so sweet but i had a real hard time at one point bc they were throwing walks at this sweet little scraggly street dog. in my best spanish, which is horrible, i told them to stop but that´s basically what they are used to.

this weekend, we went to another sustainable bolivia house on saturday that actually has cable and watched the u.s. play. some brasilian friends of my housemates cames over and we made caipirinha (sp?) made from cachasa (from sugar cane i think), lemon or lime,sugar and ice. that was good stuff. that night, we all piled in erik´s beetle bus (when i say all of us, there were like 20) after and went to this club that was super packed and 2 stories. they had a fire pole from the second to the first floor for those who chose that over the stairs. i did it ! yay! but somehow my camera broke that night so no pictures were unfortunately taken. luckily, camera is back on track today. we then got some street food (totally branching out with my eating habits, i have tried 3 new fruits as well and 2 i actually was ok with!

yesterday i was in my pajamas all day long. we were supposed to climb up to cristo but it just wasn´t happening. all of us gathered im the living space and watched many episodes of the office. even people that don´t really know spanish laughed a lot, then we all fell asleep early.

unfortunately, i still don´t have photos to upload. i sure wish i could to show the land, sites and people. it just takes too long to upload even though i have them on the computer.

i am really loving this experience and will post more tomorrow, as they are waiting for me to get ice cream, which has become a daily occurence bc it is sooo good here.

looking forward to work tomorrow. weather is perfect. life is good. hoping to hear from lots of you.

xoxo, kim

5 comments:

Paddy Bear said...

Kim,
Very happy for you! Sounds like you are having a great experience. I am still not sure of my S. America plans yet, but will def let you know.
Besitos,
-Patrick

Anonymous said...

Hi, Kimmer ~
Kyle just brought the Sophie dog "home" & he told me that you are sick. Too much of that "street" food, huh? Hope you're feeling better.
It's so good to see Sophie & I hope you found her pics on FB. Slept in until 9 this am & then went to lunch w/Mick & Kort to Red Robin. Going to work in the yard a bit (w/Sophie's help, of course).
Re your pole sliding -- why does that NOT surprise me????!!!! You are so crazy & such a good sport.
Keep up the good work w/those dear little ones. I'm sure you're in love w/them all.
Stay safe PLEASE, feel better & know that I am so proud of you & love you so much ~ Your mom

kim said...

you weren't supposed to know i was sick, mama! i didn't want to worry you. i think i will be fine tomorrow. tomorrow i start my spanish lessons after work. xoxoxo, me

kim said...

Pat, let me know what your plans are. It'd be nice to see another familiar face! !!
Besitos, kim

Polly said...

What an exciting and bold adventure sweetness. Just remember...Donde esta el bano? Or - "No pira los piedras al pobre perito." (Don't throw the rocks at the poor doggie) LOL Stay safe - :) Polly