Tuesday, June 1, 2010

umm...new at this...


It's 1:15 am and I'm checking off another thing on my "to do list" for the few days I have left here-creating a blog for those of you who care what I'm up to in South America. I figure that way you don't have to get mass emails from me if you don't really care to read them. These blogs seem really personal so I will get personal. I am leaving for Bolivia in less than a week to volunteer for an organization called Sustainable Bolivia (www.sustainablebolivia.org), run by a friend from college, Erik Taylor. Dad passed away December 10th and ever since then my whole life has turned upside down. Things that were important to me no longer are; I feel lost; my family has suffered some major trauma within; and most of all I just miss my dad so much. He was a coach and professor to so many people over the years-even a father figure to many, but he was my guidance, my teacher, and my life coach every day (whether I liked it or not, he'd tell me what he thought). I was, and am, proud to be Coach Bowen's youngest kid. I look forward to this trip to Cochabamba, Bolivia to dedicate my time to helping little ones in an orphanage, conquering my fears, and finding a piece of who I am as an individual.  I'm super lucky to have a supportive family backing me 100%-thank you, thank you, thank you. 

So..about my trip....for those of you who know me well (or even better those who have flown w/ me), you know I have to take (multiple) xanax and a glass of wine just to get from Sac to San Diego. On this trip, I can't take any "relaxant" since I need to be alert and change planes 4 times-the last 2 being serious puddle jumpers. This alone is a leap of faith and a personal strength building experience. Meesh-I know you understand from our Europe travels.... You also know I'm about as big of a chicken as they come--just ask Emily when we lived together.....crawling on the floor to her bedroom with a kitchen knife b/c I was convinced someone was outside my window and sleeping in her single bed w/ her the rest of the night. I do blame this on my mom and dad who checked under my bed and in my closet each night as a kid before going to sleep to make sure no one was hiding in there... BUT, I'm doing this all alone. So, in closing, I'll be gone 2 months and I just ask that you keep me in your prayers for safety, clarification, identity, and the opportunity to really impact others' lives.

Check out the lyrics to Mark Schultz's "Love Has Come" it came on as I was writitng and seems so appropriate. 

*Signing off w/ my most favorite bible verse*
Proverbs 31:25-"She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future." 


2 comments:

The Meditz Family said...

i'm so excited you are doing this for yourself kim. after andrew's mom passed away, i know he had a very new outlook on life. in particular, it is that you only live once and should live as you want to each and every day. i hope this journey is healing for you and gives you new hope for the future. if i didn't have a kiddo, i'd be begging for you to pack me in your suitcase (: the 3rd world is scary at times but it will make you appreciate everything you have at home so much more. best wishes for a safe trip and an experience of a lifetime!!

MJ said...

So Sis...I finally read this blog thingy of yours. I'm guessing that at this very moment you're on one of those nasty "puddlejumpers" that you referred to in your discourse. (Used that word so I might sound a little like our silly brother!!!) My guess is you probably broke down and instead of two Xanex, you popped three and washed it all down with some almond champagne. Now, you have the pilot and all of his crew of two (the guy who helps steer the aircraft and the other one who hands out lifejackets when the little plane goes down) in stitches with your one-liners and unforgettable dance moves. But in all honesty, I can't begin to tell you how proud I am of you and how crazy I think you are as well...(Had to throw that in, or you wouldn't believe it was really me typing this). Our last little bit together as MJ and MJ Stach has been so fun. God truly does work in miraculous ways. I can't wait until you get back and this fear-conquering journey has played itself out. If it be San Diego where you decide to call home, I'm happy to frequently visit, and God-forbid if you stay in 'ole Turdville, well, then there will be many trips to Target for Spiderman Undies and distastefully hideous bikinis (or beckanies as Mom calls them!) I will check this website again, hoping for a response from you and of course an update on your soul-search. One thing's for sure, little sister, I love you very very much and am so so proud of my very best friend!!!! Love you and safe travels (Don't let go of Dad's hand...he's your forever guide!)