Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Day of Thanks

The last few days I have shifted my thinking from wishing Thanksgiving would go away because of things that I am angry and sad about to thanking God for all that I have to be thankful for. It feels really good to have this change occur-not only am I smiling and laughing a whole lot more, but my migraines have decreased (just in this few days) and I feel like I am ready to be a friend to others again. For the longest time, my friends have put out the effort but I haven’t had anything to give in return. Now I’m turning the corner and feel so good about it-because I know how blessed I am to have them in my life and just want to be the friend to others that they have been to me.

So..in Thanksgiving’s honor, I’m reminding myself of the small things in life that often get overlooked, but that make me happy:

-Lola and Sophie: without Lola, I would have gone insane living by myself already. I can talk her ear(s) off and she doesn’t even talk back. Sophie (my admitted favorite) has brought my mom so much joy. Dogs are the best!

-Fresh N Easy Market: wow! This place is the greatest. I went with my neighbor the other night and she described it as an IKEA for food. It made me giddy and my groceries were/are cheap and delicious!

-Hillcrest: such a diverse and happy population. Never a dull moment, and never a time that I go somewhere without someone going out of their way to talk to me…and have I mentioned THE FOOD??

-Mom’s AeroBed: so after sleeping on my love seat for a few weeks and the floor for a few more, I brought mom’s air mattress down. It has a hole in it somewhere, so I have to pump it up a few times throughout the night, but it’s totally worth it to not have to sleep on the floor.

-Letting go of being a total chicken: I love that I chased off a would-be thief the other night with a few curse words and a kitchen broom. Maybe not the smartest, but it sure felt good. For any of my past roommates, they know that I have come a long way from the girl that would hide out with the kitchen knife on the floor when I heard something outside.

-Living on my own: even though it’s only been a month and a half, I have had a lot of time, all by myself, to re-discover myself. I lost sight of myself somewhere along the way and immersed myself in others and my identity was related not to who I was, but who I was associated with, etc. It’s been uncomfortable and boring at many times, but I have always found something to do and met great new people while doing it (and also connected with old friends).

-Church: I went last Sunday with Trishell and Ian and although it wasn’t New Life, it was sure good to be “back.” Worshipping gives me hope for the week and the message gives me plenty to think about.

-Not having much of anything: I still haven’t found a job yet so can’t really afford anything but the necessities, with an occasional cupcake. One of my favorite things of the season are cinnamon scented pine cones, which I plopped in my cart the other night at Fresh N Easy after taking a long whiff of the bag. When I got to the register, I realized it was a “want” rather than a “need” and put it back. Sure would have made my place smell nice but oh well. I don’t have cable; I bought a TV over a month ago and it’s still sitting in its box. Even when it comes out, I will just use my computer and plug to watch HULU, etc.

This is such a different lifestyle. I had the house of my dreams in Turlock, the car, the truck, CABLE, a huge backyard, a GARAGE, and so much more but I feel like it’s been a good life lesson for me to get back to where I am now… without much of anything, and finding my happiness out of experiences and relationships rather than all of my material possessions.

Stopping to think about the small things in life that make me happy realize how big the big things are (family, great friendships, etc). Helps put that extra skip in my step...Happy Thanksgiving to all!

No comments: